These mooncakes are the ones I made and gave away during Mooncake Festival. My friends love them as it is something different and the pastry is, well, fantastic. Recipe was given to me by Tracey who attended this workshop in Phoon Huat a few years ago.
Baked Shanghai Mooncakes
Recipe goes this way:
360g All purpose flour
25g custard Powder
1/2 tsp Sodium Bicarbonate
50g Icing sugar
50g Crisco shortening
1 tsp Vanilla flavour
Walnut for decoration
1 kg Lotus Paste
200g macademia nuts (chopped coarsely)
1. Beat sugar, shortening, butter, vanilla flavour till creamy.
2. Add in egg.
3. Add in flour, custard powder and sodium bicarbonate and beat till a dough is formed. Dough will be very sticky at this point. So place in a plastic bag and place it in the fridge overnight.
4. Divide dough into portions of 30 gm each. (Can make about 26 pieces)
5. Mix macademia nuts into lotus well and divide it into about 40 gm each. (can make about 26 pieces too)
6. Wrap fillings into dough and decorate with walnut. Apply egg wash and bake at 160ºC for 15 mins. Take it out and leave it for outside to cool down for 10 mins and apply egg wash again and bake for another 15 mins or till golden brown.