Saturday, March 26, 2011

L'Opera Cake - HAPPY Birthday Jeff (生日快乐,阿哲)







According to Wikipedia, an Opera Cake is a type of French cake. It is made with layers of almond sponge cake (known as Joconde in French) soaked in coffee syrup, layered with ganache and coffee buttercream, and covered in a chocolate glaze. According to Larousse Gastronomique "Opéra gateau is an elaborate almond sponge cake with a coffee and chocolate filling and icing."[1] The cake was popularized by the French pâtisserie house Dalloyau

I never imagine myself making this wonderful cake.... I promised Jeff of a wonderful cake on his birthday but was a little apprehensive and worried that fulfilling this promise would be a No No. To be a little "kiasu", I took about a week researching on opera cake, how it is made, the problems that some food bloggers encountered on their way. I stumbled upon different food bloggers like Bitter Sweet Flavours, Kitchen Experiments, Alpine Berry, The Splendid Table, Adventures in Shaw, Tastespotting reading about their personal experiences while baking and assembling the cake. Finally I produce my one and only opera cake... YIPPEE HURRAY! I must say I am very proud to present this cake to Jeff.... tho' not very perfect (more practices needed but hmm not really too bad after all :)



My warmest birthday wishes to Jeff, my dearest:

A birthday is just the 1st day of the rest of 364 days, Enjoy the trip....
Hoping that your day will be as special as you are
May this day brings you all things that make you smile
,,,,,Blessed Birthday Jeff

3 comments:

nuhaafnan said...

hi olivia, thnks for dropping by my blog & for that lovely comment. Wow, you sure share a lot of recipes here, I had a great time browsing through your cakes

DG said...

Opera cakes is actually also on my long "baking list", however, no chance to try it yet. Yours certainly looks beautiful layered and delicious!

DG said...

I just passed you an award, please collect it whenever you free :)

http://testedandtasted.blogspot.com/2011/03/one-lovely-blog-award-ii.html