Monday, January 19, 2009

Ketumbar Ayam

It is time of the year where my family - all my family nonyas and babas aunties and cousins gather together for a night of feasting normally a week before Chinese New Year. Even my relatives from Malacca and Penang were present yesterday. Very impressive and interesting event especially when all of us ladies put on our kebaya. All of us look so lovely ;)

Needless to say, all of us are supposed to bring a dish to the potluck feast. I have been making nonya chicken curry for a couple of years already and I thought it would be time for me to change the palette this year. I am still cooking ayam but in a different way this time... my sis-in-law's mum is a teochew nonya and she taught me how to do so. I change some of the ingredients to suit my taste and here it is sizzling hot from the wok:




Recipe goes this way:

5 chicken thigh (chopped into smaller pieces)
240g shallots
40g garlic
2 lemon grass (slice into rings and soak in water)
2 red fresh chillis and 2 dried chilli
80g coriander powder
200g water
2tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp thick black soya sauce
1.5tbsp pepper
some pepper corns (about 1.5tsp)
50g sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1tbsp sugar
some coriander leaves for garnishing

1. Grind shallots, lemon grass, garlic, fresh chilli and dried chilli till fine
2. Add chilli powder and coriander powder with some water to form a paste.
3. Place No. 1 into a wok and cook for about 10 mins then add 50g sugar and cook till fragrant.
4. Add chicken pieces into No. 3 and continue to cook.
5. Add in No. 2, together with black soya sauce, pepper and black pepper corn. Cook and simmer for about 15 mins
6. Adjust salt and sugar to taste.
7. Dish up and decorate with coriander leaves

No comments: