Well after hibernating at home for a day, I returned to work on Saturday from 7.30am to 6.45pm. Gosh long hours! I've tried to catch up some work which I have not been doing while hibernating at home. Anyway, I am glad at least some part of it has been completed.. phew!! Well immediately after my shower, I slept till the next morning.
I was awakened by Tracy on Sunday morning who reminded me that our good friend KP from Australia would be coming over to my place for tea. Gosh I have almost forgotten about it!! Blame on the medicine... Anyway I remember KP's favourite cake - Kueh Lapis Spekkoek or Lapis Leggit... immediately I went straight to my computer to search for the recipe from my "TO DO" list. I have gathered this recipe from Rose's Kitchen.
Tracy came over to my place to help me up with the cake... otherwise I don't think I can handle this "laborious" cake... breaking the eggs is already such a chore and baking it layer by layer... just get me so crazy!!! Blame me on my impatient personaility... Well I should say this recipe is so wonderful.
Recipe goes this way:
25 egg yolks
5 egg whites
500 gm butter
200 gm sugar
1 tin condensed milk (I used Dutch lady)
170 gm plain flour
2 tbsp golden syrup (I omitted this coz I don't have it)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp mixed spices (I used Lapis spice from phoon huat.I use about 2 tsp to make it more stronger)
1. Cream butter with condensed milk, vanilla essence, golden syrup & mixed spices till well mixed and set aside.
2. Beat egg yolks with sugar until thick and creamy.
3. Add beaten egg yolk mixture to the creamed butter mixture and mix well. Fold in sieved flour.
4. Beat egg whites with a pinch of cream of tartar till stiff and fold in the mixture.
5. Grease and line an 8″ square tin and preheat tin.
6. For first layer, spread 2 tbsps of mixture in tin and bake in oven 180 degree C for 10-15 mins.
7. For subsequent layers, grill each layer for about 3 mins.
Here are our fruit of labour:
Needless to say, KP was so happy with the cakes. I packed a quarter of the lapis for her to bring home.