Saturday, September 12, 2009

Ma Lai Ko (Brown)

This is another challenge I have taken up after the first Wo Ku Kueh.. ma lai ko. I have always wanted to put my hands on it but is always put off by the amount of waiting time. Nevertheless I did it at last and was really happy with the result... took the recipe from a book called Nonya Kuih Passions by Andrew Kow. The entire kueh took about 17 hours (fermenting + steaming) to prepare.

The kueh is really nice not too sweet but a little bit oily. Overall really good and yummy.. so if I were to make it again, I will reduce the oil.

Here is the pipping hot and fragrant Ma Lai Ko:
See the beehive lines at the bottom of the kueh?


Recipe goes this way:
150g plain flour
35g sugar
100ml warm water
2tsp instant yeast

1. Mix all ingredients and set aside for 12 hours

50g flour
50g custard powder
20g milk powder
120g sugar
130g brown sugar
5 eggs
150g oil
2tsp alkaline water

2. Mix the above ingredients well and add into No. 1 and set aside for 5 hours

1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1tsp bicarbonate soda
150g oil

3. Mix the above ingredients to Number 2 and stir to mix well.
4. Pour mixture intoa 8' round bamboo basket lined with patchment paper. Steam on high fire for 45 mins.

1 comment:

dailydelicious said...

Well, I must say I really love this cake!
I will try your recipe as soon as possible!
Pook