I was looking for a good sugee cake as I really love the one that Aunty Maureen has made. However she refused to share the recipe as she claimed that it is her family's heirloom. Well, I have to respect it and have been, trying to find one, either from the internet or from the recipe book. I read the comments made in Roseskitchenette about her sugee cake recipe and this gave me lots of courage to try out the recipe.
Here are my masterpiece:
I must say this is a fantastic cake. So yummy and nice.
Recipe from roseskitchenette
500 gm butter
250 gm semolina
300 gm castor sugar
125 gm finely chopped almonds
60 gm sifted plain flour
15 egg yolks
5 egg whites
2 Tbsp brandy
1 Tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp almond essence (optional)
1. Fry semolina over slow fire till light brown and fragrant, then leave to cool.
2. Cream butter with 100 gm sugar till light and creamy. Add in golden syrup, Brandy and fried semolina and stir well. Leave to stand for 8 hours or overnight.
3. Beat egg yolks with 100 gm sugar until thick and lemon coloured, then add vanilla essence and almond essence. Fold in finely chopped almonds and sifted plain flour.
4. Beat egg whites with remaining 100 gm sugar and a pinch of cream of tartar till stiff.
5. Add egg yolk mixture to butter mixture and finally fold in beaten egg whites.
6. Pour into a 10″ square tin and bake in preheated moderate oven at 180°C for 1 hour.