Friday, February 20, 2009

Moist Chocolate Cake

I am just so happy now as I am leaving for Hanoi in the 8.30pm train. Right now I am at a small cafe armed with my macbook, surfing for a good chocolate cake recipe while waiting for my meal to be served. I came across Cooking with Simi's website and the picture of this delectable chocolate cake caught my eye. Just like the writer, I could not resist anything "CHOCOLATE" and I believe I am going to try this cake once I am back to Singapore. Already so home-sick as I miss my house, my kitchen, my oven, my baking....Will post further once I've made the cake..

Recipe goes this way: (Recipe from Cooking with Simi)

380 g dark chocolate, chopped
240 g butter, cubed
5 eggs
100 g sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla
100 g flour

For the chocolate glaze:

200 g dark chocolate, chopped
200 ml cream


1. Preheat the oven. Set your oven to 160°C.

2. Make the chocolate base. Fill the saucepan about a third full with water and bring to the boil. Place a stainless steel bowl over the saucepan, making sure that the bottom does not touch the boiling water. Add the chocolate & butter. Stir it occasionally to help the mixture melt more quickly. Once the butter is melted, remove the bowl from the heat and set it aside. Make the batter

3. Put the eggs, sugar and vanilla into the mixer bowl. Mix them together on a medium to high speed and continue to whip until the volume is roughly doubles that of the original amount.


4. Add the egg mixture to the melted chocolate, slowly folding it in with the rubber spatula. Continue to fold it all together until well combined. Next, sprinkle in the flour and mix well

5. Pour the batter into the oven-proof, place it in the oven and let it bake for 20-25 minutes.Around 20 minutes into the cooking time, check the cake to see if it’s done. Insert the wooden skewer into the centre of the cake. If it comes out free of batter, your cake can now be removed from the oven

6. Make the chocolate glaze. Pour the cream into a saucepan and heat until close to boiling point. Remove it from the heat. Add the hot cream to the chocolate and blend them together well.

7. Glaze and cool. Pour the chocolate glaze onto the cake and using the rubber spatula, spread it evenly over the surface. This is easier to do if you elevate the cake. Allow the glaze to cool to room temperature.

Note: It is easier if you use a oil paper inside the oven-proof dish then it will be easier to take the cake out.

No comments: