Friday, July 31, 2009

Banana Cake

I am back... Have been pretty busy with my project. I am not working today so this morning I baked a banana cake. I have some friends coming over for a meeting and so I could serve them this cake. I got the recipe from The Best of Singapore's Recipes Tea time Delights by Mrs Leong Yee Soo.

This recipe calls for a lot of bananas - just nice as I have some over-ripe bananas and were perfect for this recipe. I find that the cake tastes like goreng pisang - very very fragrant but a little oily. Cake is quite heavy and moist... Not too sure why recipe does not call for bicarbonate of soda. I reduce the sugar content as I find it too sweet for my tooth. Picture of the cakes as flws:
Recipe goes this way:

455g bananas
455g butter (I used salted butter)
4tbsp condensed milk
455g sugar (I used 350g)
2tsp salt (I reduce to 1tsp)
1tsp vanilla essence
1tsp banana essence (I skip this)
9 eggs
340g Self Raising Flour

1. Beat butter, vanilla and banana essence, half of the sugar and condensed milk till fluffy.
2. Add in mashed bananas and salt.
3. In another bowl, whip eggs and remaining sugar till fluffy. Add into butter mixture and fold in flour lightly.
4 . Pour into a 9' square tin and bake 1hour 15 mins at 150C.

No comments: