Monday, February 21, 2011

Kueh Lapis Leggit



I'm always fascinated by all the bakes from Rose Kitchen... in fact the sugee almond cake which I have tried baking had already earned me so many praises which I have never failed baking over and over again. This gave me more courage to try the ever difficult and exhausting lapis leggit. I would say making a good lapis leggit would require a very good spice powder (or lapis powder). I bought mine from Ailin Bakery in Geylang as sis told me their lapis powder is the best amongst the rest ;)... But the cake is too rich for me... and guess what? I have given most part of it to my nephews and nieces who are great fan of lapis leggit... and for me ...well I only ate 2 small slices to try out the taste... my comment on this cake.... yummy, rich and above all... fantastic... if you have the time... try baking it... you will never be disappointed :)

Recipe goes this way (Taken from Rose Kitchen)
25 egg yolks
5 egg whites
500 gm butter (yes it is that much...don't reduce it)
200 gm sugar
1 tin condensed milk
170 gm plain flour
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp mixed spices

How To Start:
1. Cream butter with condensed milk, vanilla essence, golden syrup & mixed spices till well mixed and set aside.
2. Beat egg yolks with sugar until thick and creamy.
3. Add beaten egg yolk mixture to the creamed butter mixture and mix well. Fold in sieved flour.
4. Beat egg whites with a pinch of cream of tartar till stiff and fold in the mixture.
5. Grease and line an 8″ square tin and preheat tin.
6. For first layer, spread 2 tbsps of mixture in tin and bake in oven 180 degree C for 10-15 mins.
7. For subsequent layers, grill each layer for about 3 mins.
8. When top most layer is completed, cover with a metal tray or a piece of foil and bake for a further 5 mins. It will take longer if the sides are still wet.
9. Turn cake out onto a metal grid and let cool completely before cutting.

No comments: