Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Blueberry Crumble Pie


These cakes are really yummy... I couldn't help staring at them and hope that I could try each and everyone of them without putting on more weight... ha ha... This in fact has inspired me to bake more before I embark on my next project where I would have less time for baking....The most wonderful pie I have tasted so far was the Blueberry Crumble Pie.


I was in fact very happy to see a very yummy recipe from AnnCoo's blog and without hesitation, I rushed out to the supermarket to buy a can of blueberry pie filling... so impulse huh...never want to waste the ingredients...(i have the habit of purchasing ingredients and later forget to use them or just place them one side hoping to use them), I decided I should not put this can of blueberry pie filling on the shelf anymore.. so I made this pie

Recipe goes this way (Adapted from AnnCoo's Blog)

Lined a 9" flan ring
1 can Blueberry filling

Crumble Topping
100g Plain flour
30g Brown sugar
40g Soft butter

Mix all crumble ingredients together with your finger tips and put in the fridge for later use.

Sweet Short Crust pastry
200g Plain flour
20g Milk powder
110g Butter, cut cubes
35g Icing sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
3 tbsp Ice water
1 egg (I added for the extra fragrant)

How To Do it:
Sift flour, milk powder and icing sugar, salt in a bowl, mix well. Add cold butter and rub with your finger tips till mixture becomes sandy.
Add in ice water and knead mixture to form dough. (if the dough becomes too wet, you'll need to add more flour or add little water if dough is too dry)
Shape it into ball and wrap it with foil then store in freezer for 20 mins.

Take out dough from freezer after 20 minutes, roll out the pastry in between two plastic sheets to the size of about 12 inches in diameter.
Place pastry on to the ring, pressing it to fit the bottom and sides so that no air bubbles lurk under the pastry, but taking care not to stretch it.
Roll across the top of the ring with the rolling pin. This rolls away any overhanging pastry.
Prick the pastry at the bottom of the case with a fork.
Return the pastry dough to the freezer for another 15 mins or you can keep the pastry dough until next day or up to a week.

Take out pastry from freezer and quickly line it with aluminum foil and blind bake with pie weights or dry beans, to keep the bottom flat. Bake at preheated oven at 175C for 20 mins. Remove pie weights and foil immediately after baked.
Cool down the pastry and spread in blueberry filling (not too much, as the blueberry filling is very sweet). Then sprinkle the crumbles evenly on top and bake for another 35 mins.
Serve warm or chill the blueberry pie with some fresh blueberries on top.

2 comments:

sotong said...

Haha! Me same as u, impulsive buying and forget about it later!
The other day my daughter had bugged me to bake a blueberry pie, wish u live next door!

Olivia said...

Thanks for dropping by Sotong... Yes I will definitely give you a few slices of the pie... cheers